Sunday, August 29, 2010

Review: Mockingjay

*WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS!!! *
by Suzanne Collins

Description:

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans -- except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay -- no matter what the personal cost.


My Thoughts:

This book was awesome; it kept me at the edge of my seat. I loved the writing style of this book because Suzanne does an amazing job when she finishes a chapter. She always ends every chapter with a twist in the story or a cliffhanger. That last statement at the end of each chapter makes you feel the need to turn the page!

(Ok here is where the spoilers begin!)

Mockingjay was such an emotional rollercoaster. There were moments that I was hopping out of my chair so excited, and then there were the moments were I was so depressed for these characters. The biggest shock to me (ok there were two) was when Peeta was about to kill Katniss. I was out of my chair yelling at him! Another moment that really shocked me was when Prim died. I almost cried (well not really) but I really stared at the page and reread that part. It was such a sad moment and I kept expecting her to come back at any moment. I think the best moment of the entire book was the ending! I knew that she would end up with Peeta!!!! (*giggle*). I loved the Epilogue! This book could not have ended in a better way! Yay for true love!!!

This book is packed with tons of action. At times I will admit that I wished the action would end and that more romance would take its place. Gale was in the book too much. During most of the first third of the book, when Peeta had not been rescued, Gale was there with Katniss and I didn’t like that. I was afraid she was going to fall for him (yeah I know that wouldn’t happen, but still Gale isn’t a bad guy).

There are a lot of new additions to characters in this book. I would recommend that you if you haven’t looked over Catching Fire before reading Mockingjay you should. I had forgotten who was who and what they had done. I really liked how each character is so unique and plays their part in the story. I still hold the idea that Katniss is my favorite female character ever . She is just a really cool character that is so independent and strong.

I really did like this book, but after reading the whole series, I am going to say that the Hunger Games was my favorite out of all of them. I just loved that book!

Rating: 5/5

So what did you think of Mockingjay!?

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book too, while it wasn't my favorite of the series, it was still a great read. I am enjoying reading other people thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete